January 7, 2010

10 Steps

So with my final day of training at work came a book of stupid facts, ideas and motos for me to read. I read through it during my breaks today, and most of it was complete "nothing is impossible" crap that I've been hearing for years. One thing though stuck out and I actually felt like I learned from. I'm re-wording it to make it work out side of collections, but the same ideas.

10 Steps to Negotiations:

1)Maximum Strength: State exactly what you want. Don't try and modify for the person your talking too, start with what you want and let them do the same.

2)All Facts: Why? I.E. the differences, reasons and what needs to be worked out.

3)Offer Help: Show you want to resolve the problem in a way that will help both parties.

4)Next Offer: Allow the other person to speak their offer help.

5)Counter Offer: Empathize with second person, but hold strong till you confirm the inability to meet your goal.

6)Educate: Explain why your plan is best by listing the advantages. Allow the other person to do the same.

7)Equal Exchange: Don't give without recieving.

8)Mutually Agree: Focus on what factors you have incommon, not whats different.

9)Motivate: Sell your desires and ideas in a way that is exciting and will cause others to be excited about them.

10)Treat as Equal: Don't be a dictator, try and find mutual ground and agree on a mutually benificial final result.

Ok, now I'll admit they aren't really steps, more like 10 things you should do, but I still thought "man, the world would be so much better if we just did all these things."
Oh, and the original did say "don't be a dictator" so I had to not modify that...cause I mean when I read that at 10 in the morning I was kinda taken of guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment