January 13, 2010

Job or Career

So I had been happy with my new job with Honda for the last two weeks until today. I was planning to go out to get drinks with new co-workers, who frankly I don't really like, because I thought I should be social. Then my trainer came up to me and was like "your going out to party with the guys? Don't do it they corrupt you." At first I thought she kidding but she revealed to me that she wasn't and that she actually thought I had great potentional. She started saying something about being able to make this job into a solid career. Saying how it took her two years to get a job from being a temp and has a evolving career for fourteen years. She saw the same potential in me.

Then I call my mom about it kinda weirded out, when she mentions she dropped of some info to my temp agency cause they had faxed it to her house and I'm always working when their open. The owner who interviewed me aparantly wouldn't stop talking about how amazing I was and the potential I had. Mom thought she was just being kind to a parent, but after trying to leave a few times and being brought back into the conversation about me she realized I did have some effect on her. And what topped it was the owner's son just got a job at the same place as me and the interview said, and my mom quotes, "I hope my son has the same energy your son does."

Now to top off this cake of confusion, when I worked at radioshack my boss relied heavily on me even though hated her and she wasn't to found of me. She did not respect me as a person, but she recognized that I was a good worker and when I quite she said she wished I wouldn't go because I was the only employie that she could count on to get things done around there. Then one of my ex-co-workers who had become a manager while I was working there was surprised I left and so was my one friend whos a overly exsperienced 44 year old. I asked both why and they both thought I was gonna take my radioshack career to a management level.

So now I'm confused. Why does everyone think I'm out to make every job a career? Why does everyone keep thinking I'm some super go getting person who can make any job a career? In my dream world I would animate by day, game by night and have amazing adventures. And some how all my bills would be paid and I wouldn't to worry about money cause it would magically appear (I'm guessing I'd have to marry a super rich lady for that last part...but thats neither here nor there). At no point has any of these jobs been a career to me. I don't honestly even want animation to be my career, I just want to do it cause I love it. But, I do have to make money some how and I can't imagine a better way to make money then to do one of the things I love most in the world. Only other method would be to play videa games all day and get paid (and no I don't mean a game tester, I mean just get paid to play games as much as I see fit).

I don't know, I guess all and all I'm just confused about this X factor so many people seem to be seeing in me recently.

1 comment:

  1. Well... at least they're saying positive things! I suppose everyone assumes that a college graduate would want to make their job in to a career. I don't know. I'm new to all of this myself.

    ReplyDelete